Friday, January 28, 2005

 

I could have had a 4.0 or a very expensive indoctrination


Bookworm's post reminded me of my senior year at Kenyon college. I was wondering through the sociology cottage looking for a course when I happened to walk into a class in which there were only women. I realized I had the wrong class and apologized and left. A friend was taking that class and later when I told her why I was there she said she was sure it was a mistake because she knew I would never take a class like that. I asked why and she said the name of the class was "Sociology and Gender". I tool that as a challenge. Since all Kenyon students were allowed to take a few classes pass/fail to encourage the student body to take chances on subjects they might not normally take, I decided to take this class P/F in case I wasn't able to keep my mouth shut.

My intention was to play along and see how well I could do. At this point, I did not want to have anymore arguments about feminism at Kenyon. I had done that more than a few times and it had done nothing for my popularity. So I went to class and I contributed with the idea that whatever the teacher said was correct. Everything I said was meant to reinforce the teachers point. The teacher was a woman in her 50's. She was not native to the US, I am guessing German or Austrian, but I never did find out. Being the only male and since I was agreeing with feminist dogma, she loved me. More than a few of the girls in the class (about 20 people) knew that I was full of stuff but I credit them for never ratting me out. I think they were enjoying my performance. Often the class would degenerate into a conversation between myself and the teacher. I could hear the eyes rolling behind me. My friend called me out in front of some other friends who all shared my point of view and who all got a big laugh out of it.

The class was only one semester and the grade would largely be determined by a paper we would write. I decided to write a paper on the economic positives of women entering the working world. I had a read a couple of books on labor economics and thought I could make this argument and apparently I did very well as I received an A. At that point I regretted that I was taking this class pass/fail. I was not only going to pass but I was sure that I was going to get an A. When I went to pick up the paper and discuss it with the professor she was ebullient in her praise especially with the research I had put into the paper. I thought it was a decent paper. IMHO, a college paper should present all sides of an issue, fairly and accurately, the conclusion is where you draw comparison and give your judgement. I did not do this because I felt that it would not have been what the professor wanted. Maybe she would have accepted a paper with a critical look at women entering the workforce. One reason makes me doubt this, she never presented any material in her lectures that was critical of feminism.

I never did let on to the professor that I did not agree with her about most of what she said. It would have been cruel and served no purpose. I took the class and parroted the party line to see if I could. I did feel a little shame for perpetrating a fraud but my guild was diminished by the thought that I really was not getting an education in this class. I was getting an indoctrination.

More:

The Monolith on the Hill


John O
adds:

This Parapundit post describes how feminists are destroying education and undermining the development of boys.

Also, George Will comments on Harvard hysterics.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?