Thursday, May 26, 2005

 

Bookworm's Film Meme Tag II

Total number of films owned on DVD/Video:

I am guessing over 300. In Moscow, it is possible to buy quite a few films that are, how to say this without implicating myself, not normally available in a timely fashion to the general public at a low price. Also, I have a box full of videos that I will need to go through when I get back to the states, Oy.

The last film I bought:

A Russian film which translates as Only Number. The reason I bought it is because I have a brief appearence in it. English speaking people are in demand in Moscow for film roles. In a month I got two parts, one speaking in a TV show, which is a pretty good record considering the amount of time I put into looking for acting work. I decided after that to quit because I was the three days I spent on set were not worth the time I spent away from work and I am not interested in becoming a Russian movie star; more realistically, a Russian character actor/bit player.

The last film I watched:

The last film I watched was this past Thursday, Star Wars Episode III. I am slightly disappointed due to Hayden Christensen's inability to portray a classic flawed hero other than being a whiny teenager. I felt his character needed to grow up and show both noble and ignoble traits to base his subsiquent fall on something solid. Again, he acted like a spoiled child who could not have his way. If he was tortured by his choices, I could not see it. Lucas did a good job creating a realistic scenario for a tragic ending but Christensen did not pull it off.

Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):

1) Red Dawn -- So cheesy, so pro-American. Wolverines! I loved the fact that there was a bratpack movie about Americans fighting against a Soviet invasion. The premise of the movie being liberals let American defenses fall apart and the world turns communist. Finally, they invade America to take out the last bastion of freedom in the world. Until they run into a group of American teenagers.

2) The Quiet American (Original) -- I did not know this until this film was remade recently but the novel that this film was based on was not pro-American and the original film ticked off the author of the novel. It is set in Vietnam in the early sixties and involves a young idealistic American, the Vietnamese woman he loves and a cynical British reporter who loves the Vietnamese woman. Great film, check it out.

3) Breakfast Club -- Yes, I hate to admit it but this film was good and I got some things out of it that maybe others might not of just because of the timing. I was finishing High School and...excuse me, College Prep, and the message that stereotypes do not matter and that time will pass so all that was important in the past will seem unimportant stuck with me.

4) Fight Club -- Everyone takes what they want out of a movie and I took out of this movie that there is "...a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need."

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

And finally, "Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

For me the movie is a rejection of materialism, it is about men who are trying to stop defining themselves in terms of women and it is a search for a purpose. The end is a disappointment but the tone of the movie is Randian. It is a rejection of the sensitive, Alan Alda, male. That men need an outlet for our aggression because we are men and naturally chafe against a society that tries to fit us into a domesticated role, safe and sterile. Not dangerous. Sometimes we need to be dangerous, or do something dangerous, to release the pressure that comes from living in modern society.

5) Gymkata -- "Best" bad movie of all time. I won't ruin it for you but everything is so bad you can't help but laugh.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?