Thursday, July 28, 2005

 

Kelo Inspired Takings in Oakland

Debra Saunders reports about the affect the Kelo decision is having in Oakland:
(Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown) admitted that Autohouse and Revelli Tires are not blighted, but told of other buildings nearby that were crime-ridden and vermin-infested before the city pushed for redevelopment.

"You cannot have a downtown with this kind of abandonment," said Brown. And: "There is a greater good here," in eradicating the blight and replacing it with homes.

The mayor also made a pledge: "It's not easy, but I personally pledge to do everything I can to get this guy located." Fung, too.

If that doesn't happen, it is not as if Oakland couldn't redevelop the land around Autohouse and Revelli Tires, which occupy about 6,500 square feet amid asphalt parking lots.

"I was very, very happy there," Revelli told me. "I had the best building, the best location -- one block from the BART station. I couldn't have asked for better."

Well, there was one problem with Revelli's property: It was on such a prime location, the government virtually stole it.
Correction: It seems the Kelo decision had no impact on this case. It's just a run-of-the-mill story about the abusive use of eminent domain. I regret the error.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?