Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Playstation 3


Over at The Daily Cause I posted a review of the XBox 360.

I got curious and decided to look up more info on Playstation 3 which is scheduled for release in the spring of next year. To tell you the truth, I was excited about what they proposed because it was a huge leap in technology and the graphics they said they would display were nothing short of astounding. For example the screen shots above and below. Now I know that the first thought that comes into your mind is that sure they look great but these are just photos or videos created to show off the graphics. Most video games are guilty of using short CG vinettes to introduce the game but the actual game play falls far short of the atmosphere in these films.



Now I know that the first thought that comes into your mind is that sure they look great but these are just photos or videos created to show off the graphics. Most video games are guilty of using short CG vinettes to introduce the game, showing them in commercials giving the illusion that this is how the game will look, but the actual game play falls far short of the atmosphere in these films. Well go take a look at the Playstation 3 press conference at the 2005 Electronics Entertainment Expo (E 3). (You can download the whole thing or just highlights at the bottom. I highly recommend the game showcases.) Truly amazing graphics. Here is the wikipedia entry for Playstation 3. I hadn't seen this until a few days ago and it was mesmerizing. The realism in the game is so far beyond anything I have ever seen. If you read the wikipedia entry you can see that Playstation 3 is using cutting edge technology to achieve something groundbreaking. (Help, I am running out of superlatives.) Which brings me back to why I am writing this. I think the XBox 360 will turnout to be a big disappointment. Last time around XBox had a technological edge, in part, due to the early rollout of Playstation 2. I am not a huge gamer but I did buy an XBox just to see what the hype was about. I thought it was fantastic and I am glad I waited. I think a lot of consumers of what is undoubtedly high-end entertainment want the best experience coming from the best technology. If it was Sony's strategy to offer a better product whether or not they were first to introduce the next generation then I think this was a smart strategy. I know I will wait. For one reason, it gives me an excuse to buy a 1080p resolution LCD monitor. Um, Mom?

P.S. Matt, it will have the ability to connect to 7 Bluetooth controllers so your entire family can play. ;-)

Update:

Here is a site with secret Playstation 3 premieres. Warhawk and Gran Turismo look awesome. I know Bill O will be interested in the racing game. Don't worry, I have a really comfortable couch.

Playstation 3 Today is news for all things involving the Playstation 3. Some interesting tidbits, rumors of a world wide release in the summer of 2006 with the console debuting at the CES in Vegas in January. Hey, I will be in Vegas in January! Hints at the make up of Grand Theft Auto 4 including the possiblilty that it will severely test the ratings system.

A very interesting interview with Sony's Chief Technology officer about the abilities of Playstation 3 and how it will change game playing.

A link to a preview of Metal Gear Solid 4. Not my type of game but it does look fantastic. Warning, visit the toilet before you watch it! ;-D

Diego adds: XBox has nothing on this classic!


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?