Friday, November 25, 2005

 

The Smell of ?

I have a confession. For years I would drive through downtown Chicago and catch a whiff of what I thought was the Chicago river. It was strong and I thought that it must be the rancid smell of the river until someone, I forget who, told me as we were driving along that the smell was from a chocolate factory. I remember being floored by that because I would always hold my breath as soon as I caught that scent. Well, that rancid chocolate smell might be a thing of the past.

Big Brother vs. chocolate, from the Chicago Sun Times:
For decades, commuters and tourists have delighted in the mouthwatering smells wafting over the city from the Blommer Chocolate Co. factory.

Now, that aroma is about to disappear, courtesy of federal regulators.

The family-run company, which makes chocolate liquor and cocoa butter among other products, was cited by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for violating clean-air regulations and is now installing equipment that will reduce its emissions -- and stop the smell.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?