Friday, November 18, 2005

 

South Park takes on Scientology

I just finished watching South Park's wonderful ripping on Scientology. The episode was called "Trapped in the Closet" which did not make any sense to me given the topic until about half way through the episode. Then it makes a lot of sense and it is very funny.

Boing Boing points to this article by Mark Ebner and his venture into the bizarre world of L. Ron Hubbard. I was reading the article and ran across this tidbit:

With assurance from Richard that "Scientology could help" repair my totally fucked-up personality, we shuttle over to the menacing, big, blue Hubbard Foundation. Along the way, Richard regales me with stock-in-trade anecdotes of how Scientology is responsible for the successes of Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Nicole Kidman, Kirstie Alley. Isaac Hayes even lives at the Celebrity Centre Manor Hotel, for crying out loud.


Ackward! As I am sure you know, Isaac Hayes is the voice of Chef on South Park, although his character has not been on the show a great deal in the past couple of years at least. Does this mean that Chef is off the show? Who cares. Hollywood gossip is boring.

Back to this episode, Tivo cut off the ending so if anyone saw it please tell me what happened. Vikingpundit hints at it but I want to know details.

Funniest. Closing. Credits. Ever.

I just saw the end of the South Park episode lampooning Scientology. Stan denounces it as a global scam and the Scientologists angrily declare that they’re going to sue Stan for defamation. Stan yells back: “Go ahead and sue, I’m not afraid of you. Sue me!”

Then the credits roll and every single name is either “John Smith” or “Jane Smith.” Beautiful. Oh and Tom Cruise finally came out of the closet.
By the way, I disagree that the closet joke was run into the ground. First a joke gets old and then it gets ackward and then it becomes absurd and that is funny.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?