Tuesday, December 13, 2005

 

Good Riddance, Tookie

Few have been more deserving of execution than Tookie Williams

Though I have problems with its implementation here in Illinois, I was happy to see that Tookie Williams was finally executed last night. Few have deserved it more.

Its doubtful that I would even be writing about Williams but for his morally bankrupt celebrity supporters helping the loony left make such a specacle of it all. Wretchard articulated something I've thought about but haven't been able to put into words:
But when you think about it, every alternative to the Death Penalty is premised on the assumption that jail provides a better way of removing dangerous persons from society. Once the impermeability of jail can no longer be guaranteed -- because holes in the cell walls are being poked by 'activists' -- then it makes sense to execute perps while you can. Of course, there's something nigglingly wrong with this. After some thought I realized what I thought it was. Issues of guilt and innocence; crime and punishment have been distorted by the political process. How else do you have Ramsey Clark defending Saddam and European investigators refusing to provide cooperation because it might lead to the Death Penalty? Crime stops being about criminals and their deeds and becomes yet another battleground in the culture wars. It becomes less about human beings and more about political agendas.
As Jesse Jackson makes obvious:
Reader Denise R. writes, "I was listening to [KFI host] John Zi[e]gler, he actually asked Jesse Jackson the names of the victims on a couple of occasions and his microphone was taken from him by Judge Mathis (the TV judge) and broken. He also was pushed by Jackson supporters, after that happened he was forced away from Jackson by Sheriff's Deputies.]
Captain Ed quotes a prosecutor who sums up my feelings about the death penalty pretty well:
Getting rid of the death penalty means that we have to also consider the foreseeable consequences of guaranteeing criminals that they can kill as many innocent people as they want, for whatever reason at all, without even facing the theoretical possibility of placing their own lives at risk.
I also must note that whatever position celebrity activists take on an issue, I instinctively take the opposite position. I'm not sure its worth my time to put any thought into such matters any more. In fact, I can think of no better moral barometer -- obverse moral barometer, that is -- on any issue than Snoop Dogg. There isn't one positive thing I can say about that guy. I did find it interesting, though, that he was on the intro to Monday Night Football last night. I have voiced my displeasure to both ABC and the NFL. A lot of good it'll probably do.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?