Tuesday, May 23, 2006

 

Its Just A Joke

The double standards of the media, that is

Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat, has been telling versions of this joke for some time:
“As we were heading away from downtown and heading toward the airport to come here [ed. note: here suggests Champaign-Urbana], we stopped at a red light (inaudible) I rolled the window down and there’s a young girl, an African-American girl, maybe about 13 or 14 years old. I looked at her, she looked at me. She said ‘Oh my God, it’s Mayor Daley.’

(Laughs)

“So, it’s nice to know that I’m known here.”
An audio file of two different versions, back-to-back, is here.

Eric Zorn wonders:
Even if the tale were true and not just a fictional attempt at self-effacement, why would the race of the girl matter?
Rich Miller notes:
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, if a Republican told a joke like that he or she would be crucified in the media. It’s just maddening that he thinks it’s somehow funny or even relevant to always include the race of the ficticious girl in his repeated retelling of this story.
He's absolutely right.

At Capitolfaxblog, commenter VanillaMan tells a joke of his own:
He needs to update his story this way…

“As we were heading away from downtown and heading toward the airport to come here, we stopped at a red light. I rolled the window down and there’s a young girl, an African-American girl, maybe about 13 or 14 years old. I looked at her, she looked at me. She said ‘Oh my God, it’s Public Official A.’

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?