Monday, November 27, 2006

 

Bobbie Steele's Retirement

Cook County Board Comissioner Bobbie Steele has decided to retire, annointing her son Robert to succeed her. The Chicago Tribune comments:
Steele, who was just re-elected to another term as a county commissioner, told WLS-TV on Thanksgiving that she's going to retire now. That will allow her to collect a fat $136,000-a-year pension. She'll collect far more in retirement than she was ever paid in salary (currently $85,000 a year) as a commissioner.

How's that?

Thanks to pension laws that politicians designed to make politicians happy, Steele can draw a pension based on her salary during her four months as County Board president. The president makes a lot more than the part-time commissioners make. So Steele gets to cash in.

"I don't want anyone to think I'm a bandit and I'm taking something and running," Steele told WLS. "That's not me. I did not make the law, and if I become the beneficiary of it, it's by no doing of my own."

That's not me? Nonsense.
The outrages abound:But the biggest outrage of all is that moves like this are so common in Illinois that they hardly seem outrageous anymore.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?