Monday, May 21, 2007

 

The Cicadas Are Here!

Though its been 17 years, I can't wait for them to go away

Upon setting foot outside my house about 9:45 this evening, I heard a strange crunching sound. I stopped dead in my tracks. But before I could check out what I had stepped on, I noticed a strange rustling sound emanating from my yard. A freshly seeded patch of dirt contained several small holes and the surrounding grass was moving. It was then I realized that the cicadas were here.

After turning an outside light on, I looked at the bare patch of ground and watched as new holes suddenly opened, little critters emerging from them. Between mine and my neighbor's yard, there are several dozen of them -- perhaps as many as two or three hundred in an area about 30' by 20'. (I tried to take some pictures but they didn't turn out.) I went for a quick walk around the immediate neighborhood and could find no other spots where cicadas were emerging. Overall, it was a pretty cool experience.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?