Saturday, October 06, 2007

 

Where It All Began


(Trinity Site where the world's first nuclear device was exploded on July 16, 1945)

The original ground zero is open to the public on the first Saturday of May and October. I was there to take this photo but it required a little driving to get there. For obvious reasons the test site for the bomb is in a remote location, not too bad though, just North of the White Sands Missile Range and a few hours drive from El Paso, Texas.

Below is a picture of some Trinitite, the residue found on the desert floor after the blast. It is illegal to remove any Trinitite but you can buy some (it was once legal). I settled for the picture though I was tempted.



After the Trinity Site it was on to Roswell, New Mexico where I settled in for the evening and wrote this post. I'll keep an eye out for anything else worth photographing.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?