Saturday, June 07, 2008

 

The Political Price Of High Gas Prices

There doesn't seem to be one

I hope this changes someday. Via Powerline, Congressman Roy Blunt has put together these data on the differences between Republicans and Democrats regarding energy policy:
ANWR Exploration House Republicans: 91% Supported House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Coal-to-Liquid
House Republicans: 97% Supported
House Democrats: 78% Opposed

Oil Shale Exploration
House Republicans: 90% Supported
House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Exploration
House Republicans: 81% Supported
House Democrats: 83% Opposed

Refinery Increased Capacity
House Republicans: 97% Supported
House Democrats: 96% Opposed

SUMMARY

91% of House Republicans have historically voted to increase the production of American-made oil and gas.

86% of House Democrats have historically voted against increasing the production of American-made oil and gas.
I wonder if people even make the connection between Democrats and high gasoline prices. I've heard many people in public complaining about the high cost of gasoline of late. Every time I've thought about reminding the complainer(s) that Democratic policies are largely to blame, something I do whenever my liberal friends complain. I wonder how I'd be received.

As for gasoline taxes, only California, New York and Connecticut have higher gas taxes than Illinois. All four are heavily Democratic states.

Yesterday I purchased gasoline in Lake County for $4.079 per gallon, 81 cents of which was tax, meaning my 14.821 gallon purchase cost me $12 in taxes. When I paid $4.219 per gallon in Chicago last week, 93.5 cents of which was tax, meaning my $10 purchase (I never fill up in the city) cost me $2.22 in taxes.

I wonder why gas stations don't in some way communicate to customers what the government's tax take is, even if its just printing it on receipts. Is it possible that this is against the law? Are they afraid to anger Congress, many of whose members love bashing Big Oil? Also, it would be nice if gasoline stations advertised gas prices without including taxes, though I'm pretty sure this is against the law.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?