Monday, November 17, 2008

 

NFL Numbers

It was nice to see a tie yesterday in the NFL, Bengals and Eagles tied at 13. There had not been a tie since 2002. But as I watched the Steelers and Chargers late afternoon game in the 4th quarter I saw the potential for an 11-10 final. I wondered weather a game ever ended with that final score and then was informed by the announcers that no NFL game had ever ended 11-10. I'm not sure who cares about such things but I do.

The Steelers won 11-10 but only after a touchdown on the last play of the game was reversed following a replay review. As it turns out the reversal was the wrong call but the 11-10 score held up. At least the 11 was obtained by an old fashioned 2 point play - the safety. You can't score 2, 4, 8, or 11 points in the NFL without scoring 2 on one play. A recent addition of the 2 point conversion after touchdowns increased the chance for a score of 8 or 11 but for many years you needed a safety to score 2 points.

I'd like to see a list of all the NFL games ever played sorted by score to see what other final scores have not yet been tallied. Some favorites I would like to see: 2-0, 4-2, 5-4, and 6-4 OT.

John O adds
: In 1970, Dallas beat Detroit 5-0 in a playoff game.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?