Wednesday, December 10, 2008

 

Struck?

NO, I am not struck. I am just glad that this is getting some national attention.

"If you read all 72 pages of the indictment, you just can't help being struck by the money-grubbing nature of the governor and his mania for money. He had schemes within schemes to extract cash from supporters, cronies, and companies who wished to do business with the state."
None of this surprises me. The only new idea floated in all the reporting so far on Blagojevich is that perhaps he is insane for being stupid enough to talk on the phone when he knew he was under investigation. Other than that, nothing new.

It will be interesting to hear just how awful he sounds on the recordings if they are made public.

Via Instapundit, Eugene Volokh asks some good questions:


But my sense is that political deals of the "I appoint your political ally to X and you appoint me to Y" variety are pretty commonplace, though perhaps done with more subtlety than seemed to be contemplated here. Should these deals indeed be treated as criminal bribery? Have they generally been so treated? What if the deal didn't involve appointment-for-appointment swaps but vote-for-vote swaps or vote-for-appointment swaps — e.g., "if you vote the way I want you to vote, I'll vote the way you want me to vote" or "if you vote the way I want you to vote, I, the Speaker of the House, will make sure that you're appointed to the committee chairmanship you always wanted" or "if you solidly support me during this Congress, I'll appoint you to the Cabinet"?
I think this is business as usual in Illinois and to some extent elsewhere.



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?