Thursday, May 05, 2011

 

Atlas Shrugged Review- minor spoilers

Although, I have a feeling that most people who go see this movie at least know the outline of the book.

I went to the movie with a sense of trepidation. I knew the critics were going to pan it but I expected the public to embrace it and, while a Passion of the Christ seemed a little too ambitious, I thought at least a good enough box office to more than pay for future films and a nice profit for the producer.

I did wait to go to the movie. I wanted to go the first weekend but life intervened. By the time I saw it on Monday there was no doubt that this movie was in trouble and it had a lukewarm reception even from some I had expected to like the movie. So I was pleasantly surprised when I did like the movie. In fact, I thought it was quite good. The novel can be plodding at times so I sort of expected the film to be more wordy than it was. Instead, Atlas Shrugged moved along at a decent pace and kept my interest even though I knew the plot cold. The acting was excellent. I especially liked Taylor Schilling as Dagny. (The last scene of the movie was a fitting end and she really makes you feel the pain of the moment.) For a film that was made on a shoestring budget there is no expectation of grand effects and there are none but the sets are grand and they do convey the soring message of the novel. They use TV broadcasts mostly for exposition which works well. And I thought the score was good.

If you haven't seen the movie, do so. If like me, you have had your expectations tamped down you will find a much grander experience.

Labels:


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?