Sunday, January 22, 2012

 

“Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit” – an intentional 70 pound weight gain

It is hard to explain to someone who has been thin their entire life how hard it can be to lose weight. It is especially hard when you are doing the wrong thing like believing the calorie in/calorie out model; who knew that Lean Cuisine was making me fat.

I have to give a lot of credit to Drew Manning, a fitness instructor who deliberately gave up exercise and started to eat a high carb, high sugar diet and managed to gain 70 lbs. in 6 months. He has documented his journey at his blog and it is heartening to see someone get it. Losing weight is very difficult even when motivated.

Fired up by the pounding music, my adrenaline flared and I went through the set of 15. I was slightly caught off guard by a bit of the wobbly elbows during my first set, and was slightly more scared to dive into set two.After years of supporting clients through their first knee push-ups, I had an odd out of body experience realizing I’d need to employ the same approach. Slightly embarrassed, and more humbled, I completed set two on my knees. And I had to take mini-breaks to recover.As a personal trainer, I always wondered what new clientele thought as they started their uphill climb. Now I knew, because I was thinking the same thing. And over and over, the same thought went through it – “this is HARD!” Maybe I was too aggressive, thinking it would be like riding a bike, and I’d dive right in. Maybe I just underestimated how difficult things are when you try to exercise when you’re overweight.At the end of the workout, with arms actually made out of Jell-O, I sluggishly left the gym. No high fives. No blazing workout music. Just reality. This is going to be a lot of work.

Labels: ,


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?