Thursday, June 14, 2012

 

Why our food is making us fat

The food industry had its eyes on the creation of a new genre of food, something they knew the public would embrace with huge enthusiasm, believing it to be better for their health – "low fat". It promised an immense business opportunity forged from the potential disaster of heart disease. But, says Lustig, there was a problem. "When you take the fat out of a recipe, food tastes like cardboard, and you need to replace it with something – that something being sugar." Overnight, new products arrived on the shelves that seemed too good to be true. Low-fat yoghurts, spreads, even desserts and biscuits. All with the fat taken out, and replaced with sugar. Britain was one of the most enthusiastic adopters of what food writer Gary Taubes, author of Why We Get Fat, calls "the low-fat dogma", with sales rocketing. By the mid-80s, health experts such as Professor Philip James, a world-renowned British scientist who was one of the first to identify obesity as an issue, were noticing that people were getting fatter and no one could explain why. The food industry was keen to point out that individuals must be responsible for their own calorie consumption, but even those who exercised and ate low-fat products were gaining weight. In 1966 the proportion of people with a BMI of over 30 (classified as obese) was just 1.2% for men and 1.8% for women. By 1989 the figures had risen to 10.6% for men and 14.0% for women. And no one was joining the dots between HFCS and fat.  [Emphasis added.]

This is what happened to me in the 90s.  I exercised at least 3 times/week, I ate low fat.  I cannot tell you how many lean cuisine meals I ate, low fat yogurt, lots of apples and oranges.  But every year I kept putting on weight even though I gave up drinking alcohol for a while that did not help me to lose weight.  The only success I had was starving myself but that was only temporary.  (Try spending a couple of months eating 1500-2000 calories/day and then gain it all back on a weeks vacation.)

The only success I have had is eating low carb.  Although that stopped working after I turned 40 probably due to low testosterone.  Now I am losing weight, a lot of weight thanks to HCG, low carb, and testosterone replacement.

Read the whole thing.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?